May 25, 2009

My memories

Well it has been a while since I have blogged. Ok, a week or so but just have been busy with work and general life stuff. Not that exciting!
Well my news is this... I won a scholarship from Beth Moore ministry called Living Proof ministry. It goes like this. If you want to know more about it, just go to http://livingproofministries.blogspot.com. Anywho, as I say... I am excited to what is in store for me and GOD's continued work in my life. The work that he began in me continues on and on until I am called home! What a precious thought.

Ok, on to my meaning of my rambling for today. Today is Memorial Day and it is more than having time with family and friends but it has to remember our veterans who have served in the military. I know many who served but the one who is the closest to me would be my Grandfather who has sensed passed on and his name for Edward Russell. He was such a special man but he was a man of GOD. I know do not a lot of his time in the service because he did not talk about it a lot but I do know that he was honored to do so. There were accomplishments that he did within his time in the service but my family never knew of them until he had passed away. That was the kind of man he was.
I miss him terribly. I think of him and I wonder what he must think of things now. I mean our family has changed and life has had its changes since he left this life. He has been gone since 1993. Ok, let me just tell you the story. Bear with me. If I bore you... Well I am sorry but I am in a reflective mood. My grandmother on my dad's side passed away in November of 1992. It was a sudden death and well our family has never been quite the same. You know there is that hole in our hearts that has not ever been filled. I know now who can fill it and it is only the LORD JESUS! Anyway, my grandpa just never quite was the same after my grandma died. However, it was so different. He was not a man who readily showed his emotions but after my grandma died, he and I had some special times together. I stayed with him when I would go home to visit and we talked about old times in our family. We have to settle things and I have to tell him how much I loved and respected him. It was a time I so hold dear. Therefore, in his memory today, I ask you to love those who have near and to honor our veterans by not just remembering their sacrifice for our freedom but to honor them in your thoughts, attitudes, and to be reminded of our great land. Yea, things are not what I would like and times are tough. Nevertheless, remember we are still free!
I had no idea that Psalm 91 was known among some veterans as the “SOLDIERS PRAYER" so I have added it below for your reflection.
Hold those you love dear and I just praise the LORD for all of his goodness in my life. I love you all.


Psalm 91
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

3 surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings, you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Beautiful, beautiful post! God bless you richly in your life as you serve Him!

In Christ's Love,

Andrea

P.S. I, too, was very close to my grandparents, and all of them are now with Christ. I miss them so, but the memories of them live on in my heart and family. Blessings.